Wednesday 20 November 2013

Saved By The Kindness of Strangers

I usually blog about the inconsiderate or unhelpful nature of people or how little care is found in our society if not world, but today my faith in humanity was slightly restored and I wanted to share this new found faith with you all.

I had an appointment at the hospital today, it was an emergency kind of appointment after I had developed a severe infection on a pressure sore that has troubled my elbow for the past 3 years. Just before I left the house, there was slight drizzle, my mother told me to call a taxi but I knew it would take a while and I risk being late, which may mean losing an appointment that I had fought hard to get. I took the brave decision of driving my wheelchair to the hospital which would take me 25 minutes.

9 minutes into my journey the rain started to get heavier, wind stronger and before I knew it there was a hail storm! Due to my weak respiratory function, I could not breath, turned my back to the wind and kept trying to fight the rain, and sought protection next to a nearby Sushi Tapas Bar. At that precise moment the closed Bar suddenly opened and a waitress came out calling me to go inside, I was overcome with mixed emotions, my anger, frustration, helplessness all vanished and were replaced with happiness, relief and overwhelming feeling of gratitude for the waitress and for God who had answered my prayer as I asked for help.

Once I was inside the rest of the Bar staff got kitchen towels and started drying me, then offered me a drink. I was so impressed by their kindness and kept thinking 'there is hope after all'. I stayed inside and asked my carer to hail a taxi although I kept thinking that there is no way a taxi driver would stop, let alone have a ramp and be willing to use it. For the second time that day I was pleasantly surprised and proven wrong, a nice taxi driver did stop, did have a ramp and got it all ready for me, then drove to the hospital and I made my appointment with ten minutes to spare.

I can never thank the Bar staff and the taxi driver enough, not just for their kind act but for restoring my faith in humanity and teaching me a valuable lesson: never give up hoping for a solution to a problem or for a mercy from above.  

No comments:

Post a Comment